Frequent Asked Questions
New to Santeria? Want to know what are we about? Please read the following information to clear all your doubts. What is Santeria?
- Please check our section “What is Santeria?” for a proper explanation of this question.
Who are the Yoruban people?
- The Yoruba people are the west African habitants of what we know as Nigeria.
Why is your religion secret?
- It’s an oral tradition. Knowledge it’s passed down generation to generation since the beginning. And there are some knowledge that’s only for the elders and the ones they trust and respect.
What do you believe in? Do you believe in God?
- Yes and Yes. Santeria believes Oloddumare (God) created everything under the sun and his aché is what gave us life. As in the catholic religion, we believe that Oloddumare is a holy trinity (Olofi, God almighty and Olorun the sun)
Are the Orishas and the Catholic Saints the same divinities?
- No. But they do share some similarities. Please refer to our section “Who are the Orishas?” to a proper explanation about them.
Do you have any church?
- There are Santeria churches in the US. In fact, in 1974 the Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye became the first Santeria church in the U.S.A.
Is Santeria voodoo?
- It is related but not the same.
What’s the difference between Santeria and Spiritualism?
- Spiritualism is to Santeria what the Catholic Religion is to Santeria. Meaning that Spiritualisms elements are blended with the traditions of Santeria.
Is Santeria a pagan religion?
- Pagan comes from the Latin “Paganus” meaning “country dweller”. In its early years Christianity was an urban religion and “pagan” was everyone from the country that worshiped other religions. So, any other religion than Catholic is a pagan religion.
Is Santeria witchcraft?
- No. Since we incorporate spirits to all our praying and beliefs, people think Santeria is the same as witchcraft. We indeed call for our ancestor’s spirits and other good spirits, but it is our moral that determines if these spirits are going to work for good or evil.
What are the unchanged truths of your religion?
- God is real; God is good; God is the creator. God is on earth.
How old is your religion?
- Really old, our religion it’s descendent from the Yoruba people in West Africa (Which is the oldest continent of all). There our forefathers were taken as slaves and brought to the new world. In America to keep their religion they had to blend/hide their religion with the Catholic to avoid persecution.
Who founded it?
- No one funded it. It’s a tradition that blended with something else, let’s say it’s something organic.
What does ‘aché’ means?
- Aché is the spiritual energy of life and divinity. It’s the power that helps everyone to fulfill their path in life. When you wish ‘aché’ to someone you’re wishing this person with good luck.
Who is the Babalawo?
- The Babalawo is a priest of Osha-Ifá and he reads the oracle of Ifá.
Who is the Santero?
- The Santero is a priest to the religion.
Want to know more? Contact us via email email@example.com or phone (201) 839-9562. Information is free for everyone. Aché!